The Excelsior Scholarship helps bridge the financial gap for academically excelling college-bound students. This opportunity specifically looks to support high school students who excel academically.
- Must be a high school senior graduating from a public high school in Colorado this current spring term
- Students identified as emancipated and/or foster care youth are highly encouraged to apply
- Must be a resident of Colorado
- Have a minimum 2.5 cumulative grade point average
- Enroll at an accredited vocational/technical school, community college, or college/university (public or private) in the upcoming academic year.
- If you are going to enroll in a vocational/technical school, it must be a technical skill training program at an accredited or recognized institution and earn a certificate/certification or a professional license.
Scholarships will be awarded once a year to a high school student through a competitive process based on:
- extracurricular activities and leadership
- financial need
- scholastic potential
Award amounts can be up to $5,000 per year for 2- and 4-year institutions and up to $4,500 per year for vocational/technical schools based on the strength of the student application and their unmet financial need.
Awards can be used for the following expenses depending on where you attend school:
- 2-year or 4-year institutions: tuition, fees, room, board, books, supplies, and health insurance
- vocational/technical schools: tuition, fees, books, and supplies
Scholarship awards will be paid directly to the recipient’s school. Awards must be used for the upcoming academic year. Renewal is not automatic for this award, however, previous recipients are encouraged to re-apply in subsequent years. An individual can receive a scholarship from this fund for a maximum of five years.