Supporting students committed to journalism
The purpose of the John C. Ensslin Memorial Scholarship program is to support students who are committed and engaged in the field of journalism.
- Be enrolled in one of the eligible schools: Colorado College, Colorado Mesa University, Colorado State University – Fort Collins, Colorado State University – Pueblo, Metropolitan State University of Denver, University of Colorado Boulder, University of Colorado Colorado Springs, University of Northern Colorado, University of Denver.
- Maintain a cumulative grade point average of 2.0 or higher.
- Demonstrate engagement in their academic field of journalism.
- Plan to use their major to work in journalism after college graduation.
Scholarships will be awarded once each year through a competitive process based on:
- vision for the future
- commitment to the field/passion for their work in journalism
- quality of work
- scholastic potential
NOTICE: By applying for the John C. Ensslin Memorial Scholarship, you are also being considered for one of the eight available Damon Runyon Scholarship awards of $1,500. The top applicant selected will be awarded the John C. Ensslin Memorial Scholarship of $3,000.
Scholarship awards are one-time awards. We will award eight scholarships at $1,500, and one scholarship at $3,000. The amounts awarded to a selected recipient may be used for tuition, fees, room, board, books, supplies, and any additional cost of attendance expenses. All scholarships will be paid directly to a recipient’s school and must be used for the upcoming academic year. Award disbursement is contingent upon the outside scholarship policies of a recipient’s college or university. Awards must be used during this upcoming academic year.
How to apply
- Read through the eligibility to confirm you meet the requirements for the scholarship opportunity
- Prepare and submit the following items:
- Two essays
- What kind of journalism do you admire and why?
- What do you see as your contribution to the field of journalism? What are your goals in the field? What would you do to keep yourself relevant in the rapidly changing industry?
- Three samples of work
- Upload three original photos, illustrations, or videos demonstrating your journalism/media work. Please limit your file type to either a JPEG or PDF format.
- One academic reference