For many nonprofits, creating an endowment is a path to building long-term sustainability. Yet managing a fund can feel like a huge task, especially for small organizations and those in the early stages of operation. When you partner with The Denver Foundation, we’ll serve as an extension of your team, helping you navigate the ins and outs of endowment funds — and allowing you to focus on the day-to-day task of advancing your mission.
How will an endowment fund support your organization?
Nonprofit endowment funds and advised funds help nonprofit organizations achieve long-term financial sustainability through sound investments. By establishing an endowment fund, your organization’s assets are invested alongside the assets of The Denver Foundation and our other fundholders. Your nonprofit has the option of receiving an annual distribution payment from your fund or to reinvest the payment to support long-term financial goals.
Why work with us?
We are dedicated to the community’s long-term success, which is why we provide services to help the nonprofit sector thrive. The Denver Foundation has nearly 100 years of experience managing philanthropy for individuals, businesses, families, and nonprofits. Currently, we hold endowment and advised funds ranging from $25,000 to $8 million for more than 100 nonprofits in Metro Denver.
How does it work?
First, we’ll work with you to determine if an endowment fund is a good fit for your organization’s financial sustainability goals. Upon opening a fund, we’ll help you to select the investment pool option that best matches your organization’s goals. Each year you will have the option to receive an annual distribution payment from the fund to help meet current budget needs or to reinvest the distribution in your fund to support long-term financial goals.
What are the other benefits?
- Access to sophisticated investment services and diversification through pooled investing.
- The ability to accept complex gifts such as securities, real estate, trusts, and annuities.
- Assistance with planned giving to your endowment fund and other strategies to grow your fund over time.
- All administrative and accounting services including quarterly fund reporting and donor acknowledgment.
- Endowment funds that remain an asset on the balance sheet of the nonprofit.