The Viking Scholarship provides a scholarship to a graduating North High School or North Engagement Center senior who will be attending Metropolitan State University of Denver, or any public Colorado community college or technical school.
High school seniors graduating from North High School or North Engagement Center in May who meet all of the following requirements are eligible.
- Is considered a first-generation college student
- Has a cumulative GPA of at least 2.5 during junior and senior years
- Demonstrates the following personal success factors: tenacity, curiosity, and social intelligence
- Demonstrates financial need through completion of the FAFSA or need-assessment questions
- Intends to enroll at Metropolitan State University of Denver or any public Colorado community college or technical school on a full-time basis (minimum enrollment of 12 credit hours).
- Is eligible for in-state college tuition
Scholarships will be awarded once a year through a competitive process based on:
- GPA and academic achievements
- scholastic potential and community engagement
- commitment to personal success factors such as tenacity, curiosity, and social intelligence
One student per year will be selected to receive a scholarship of up to $10,000 per year.
The scholarship may be used towards tuition, fees, books, health insurance, transportation, and other educational supplies as defined by the college/university’s Cost of Attendance.
The Viking Scholarship is renewable for up to four consecutive years provided that the student completes at least 12 credits per semester, maintains a cumulative GPA of at least 2.5, completes the FAFSA or similar need-assessment tool, continues to have unmet financial need, and submits an annual report to The Denver Foundation each year to confirm renewal eligibility. Scholarship awards will be paid directly to the recipient’s college/university. Award disbursement is contingent upon the financial aid and scholarship acceptance policies of a recipient’s school.