Encouraging college students commited to journalism
The purpose of the Colorado Press Association scholarship program is to encourage and assist college journalism students who have demonstrated commitment to the field of journalism.
- Will be a full-time junior or senior (minimum 12 credits/semester) at a four-year Colorado college or university in the applicable academic year.
- Have declared and will be majoring in journalism with a focus on and intent to pursue a career in the field of journalism at a print or online news organization.
- Must plan to use their major to work in the print or online journalism industry in Colorado after college graduation.
- Examples of journalism majors that will be considered are, but are not limited to, photojournalism, multimedia journalism & storytelling, journalism & media communication, news, and multimedia journalism, publishing, and investigative journalism.
- The following media-related majors will not be eligible for this opportunity: multimedia, technical journalism, documentary filmmaking, media students, mass communications, public relations, etc.
Scholarships will be awarded once each year through a competitive process based on:
- commitment to the field/passion for the work
- vision for the future
Scholarship awards are one-time awards. The amounts awarded to a selected recipient may be used for tuition, fees, room, board, books, supplies, and health insurance. All scholarships will be paid directly to a recipient’s school and must be used for the upcoming academic year. Award disbursement is contingent upon the outside scholarship policies of a recipient’s college or university. Priority awarding will be given to students of color.
How to apply
- Read through the eligibility to confirm you meet the requirements for the scholarship opportunity
- Prepare and submit the following items:
- College transcript
- Two essays
- What draws you to the field of journalism and what do you contribute to the field?
- Think about a recent news event within the past year that is most interesting to you. If you had been assigned to cover this story, how would you have approached it?
- One academic reference
- Three Sample Work items
- Upload three original photos, illustrations, or videos demonstrating your journalism/media work. Please limit your file type to either a JPEG or PDF format.