This scholarship program provides opportunities for undergraduate students in Colorado who have been in foster care for at least two years at any time within five years before the scholarship deadline.
- Were in the foster care system in Colorado for a minimum of 24 months within the last five years (months do not need to have been consecutive, although the total should be 24 months before the scholarship deadline).
- Applicants who meet this requirement AND are emancipated and were adopted at age 15 or older or are participating in the Guardianship Assistance Program, Independent Living Arrangement, or similar programs. are eligible to apply.
- Have a minimum of 2.5 cumulative grade point average
- Will be age 25 or younger on September 1st
- Demonstrate financial need
- Currently or will be enrolled at an accredited trade or technical school, community college, or four-year college/university in the U.S. for the upcoming academic year.
Students from rural Colorado are highly encouraged to apply!
Scholarships will be awarded once a year through a competitive process based on:
- scholastic potential
- financial need
Scholarship awards will be paid directly to a recipient’s educational institution and may be used for tuition, fees, books, supplies, and other required educational expenses for the upcoming academic year. The minimum award is $4,000.
Automatic renewals for this scholarship do not take place, nor is awarding guaranteed simply because a recipient received the award previously. A student may re-apply for the opportunity if they have been previously awarded. Recipients have a maximum of four years to receive funding. Awards may be used for part-time or full-time undergraduate study.
Please note that award disbursement is contingent upon the outside scholarship policies of a recipient’s college or university. Awards must be used for the upcoming academic year.
How to apply
- Read through the eligibility to confirm you meet the requirements for the scholarship opportunity
- Prepare and submit the following items:
- Two essays
- Please describe what you would like to study in college, what inspired your interest in this area, and what you hope to achieve with this degree.
- Describe the goals you have established for yourself and your efforts to accomplish these. Give at least one specific example that demonstrates your work ethic and diligence.
- One academic or community reference
- Confirmation of Foster Care Dependency Form