This scholarship program was created to provide scholarships for full-time undergraduate students in their junior or senior years pursuing college degrees in teaching or social work at one of the following schools: Metropolitan State University of Denver, University of Denver, Colorado State University, University of Northern Colorado, and University of Colorado Colorado Springs.
Eligible candidates will be working toward a K-12 teaching certificate or following a course of study in social work with a special emphasis on assisting children and young adults.
- Will be a full-time junior or senior (minimum 12 credits/semester) at Metropolitan State University of Denver, University of Denver, or Colorado State University, University of Northern Colorado, and University of Colorado Colorado Springs in the upcoming fall semester or will be transferring into one of these schools from a community college
- Intend to pursue a career as a K-12 teacher or a social worker focusing on assisting children and/or young adults
- Hold a 2.5 or higher cumulative G.P.A. or a minimum 3.0 G.P.A. in their major
- Demonstrate financial need through completion of the FAFSA, CASFA, or other approved source
- Participated in significant volunteer/community service work in high school and in college
- Demonstrate a high level of social concern and leadership skills
Recipients will be selected to receive a scholarship through a competitive process based on a commitment to the field/passion for the work, extracurricular activities and leadership, and vision for the future.
Scholarship awards will be paid directly to a recipient’s college or university and can only be applied toward tuition and fees. Please note that award disbursement is contingent upon the outside scholarship acceptance policies of a recipient’s school. . Students are eligible to reapply for the opportunity. The scholarship is to apply toward tuition and fees only. Awards must be used for the upcoming academic year, no deferments are allowed.
How to apply
- Read through the eligibility to confirm you meet the requirements for the scholarship opportunity
- Prepare and submit the following items:
- Two essays
- Where and how do you demonstrate leadership in your day-to-day life/activities?
- What drew you to teaching/social work? And what course work are you pursuing to further your career?
- One academic letter of recommendation
Photo credit: MSU Denver/Alyson McClaran