Supporting renewable energy projects
The Denver Foundation is pleased to invite qualified nonprofits to apply for funding from the Renewable Energy Trust, a donor-advised fund of The Denver Foundation. Renewable Energy Trust supports renewable energy projects for Colorado nonprofit organizations and public entities. The installed renewable energy projects help nonprofit and public organizations offset their energy costs, allowing energy savings to be reinvested in many community programs.
Renewable Energy Trust projects also help educate and inform the public about the benefits of renewable energy, and reduce the carbon footprint of the facility where they are installed. The program is funded through contributions from Xcel Energy’s residential and business customers, either with lump-sum donations or through a premium on energy bills.
Grants from the fund typically range from $15,000 – $40,000.
- Your organization must be a public organization or a 501(c)(3) nonprofit or be fiscally sponsored by a 501(c)(3).
- The project is within Xcel Energy’s service area in Colorado, with priority given to electric customers.
- Those that have received a previous grant must wait one year to apply again.
Grant awards given in previous years are no guarantee of future grant awards.
As part of the application, you will be asked to:
- Ensure the project will not be used for commercial or individual benefit.
- Provide the amount of project funding that will come from sources other than the Renewable Energy Trust.
- Provide the total cost of the project and the cost-effectiveness of the renewable energy system.
- Provide the environmental value or community benefits of the project.
- Explain the project’s ability to increase public awareness or education about renewable energy and the Renewable Energy Trust.
- Explain the project’s ability to interact with other existing energy efficiency and renewable energy efforts.
- Explain the project’s ability to create workforce development or volunteer opportunities.